Sunday, September 20, 2015

LDS Seminary Classroom Organization Ideas

In my first year of teaching Seminary I had a problem with participation.  Going into my second year I decided that this was going to change.  I set my classroom up in a way where everyone has a job, and everyone is ready for devotional.  Here is what I did:

Student Pictures:
I took a picture of every student holding their name on a piece of paper.  This way I could learn the students name more quickly

Student Information Forms:
I had each student fill out the form.  This really came in handy in getting to know the students, but also if I had a problem or concern during the year.  Below is the information form that I used.  You can print it out by right clicking on your mouse and saving it into your pictures, or copy and paste it into your printing program.


Daily Assignments:
I set it up that every day we had a different set of students conducting.  This way more students were able to participate.  Here are some printouts that you can use for your class.  I have one for a smaller class, and one for a larger class.





Miscellaneous Jobs:
Since I still needed jobs for some students I put together another list of various responsibilities for students as they are needed.  Here they are:


Devotionals:
My first year devotionals were a disaster!  The students would not show up if they were assigned the devotional.  The next year I went to Deseret Industries and bought a bunch of Conference Ensigns.  I handed them out to every student. I had each student do their devotional right in their journal so that there where no excuses for not having a devotional.  Every day I randomly chose who was to do the devotional so that the student couldn't play hooky if he knew that he had the devotional.  It worked out great.  Here is my worksheet that I used at the beginning of the year:



After the student giving the devotional asked the class a question, I then had the class ask a question to the student in return.  I also made a list of all the unique ways that the students can get their scripture reading done during the day.  I leave the list up where all the students can see it.

Scripture Mastery:
For Scripture Mastery I have a student help us to recite it every day.  We work on one Scripture Mastery a week.  I used to have the large copies of each Scripture Mastery, but our Seminary didn't order them this year so I have been working out of the Scriptures.  I think that I like this better. 



I have put together a Seminary in a Sack for the students.  Each time we pass off a Scripture Mastery they get a small item to put into their Seminary in a Sack to help them to remember the scripture.  To see how I have done this click on the picture below:



I hope that this gives you a few ideas for your classroom.  



3 comments:

  1. This is so helpful. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found these ideas fascinating!! thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found these ideas fascinating!! thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete