Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Celebrate Rosh Hashanah in your LDS Seminary Class


Joseph Smith received the Golden Plates from Angel Moroni on Sept. 22, 1827.  This was the exact date of Rosh Hashanah in that year.  Last year when we were studying the Doctrine and Covenants I made a little treat for the students for them to remember this connection.  To see how to make it click on the picture below:



This year we are studying the Old Testament so I shared with the students some of the Jewish traditions. I want the students to make a connection with the Bible and I thought that this is a good way to do it. 

We had apples and honey to celebrate a sweet New Year and talked about the harvest and the connection to our modern day gospel.   

I also gave them this handout to place in their journals.  I had it printed as a 4x6 photo.  It only cost me $2.43 at Costco, plus it saved a whole bunch of ink.




 Here is a great article to read for more information:


There are also some really fun YOUTube Videos that your students can watch at the beginning of class.  Here are a couple that I used. Just click on the link to take you there.


Rosh Hashanah Rock Anthem

The day was a hit with the students!  They loved the connection of the Golden Plates, and they loved the apples and honey!








No comments:

Post a Comment