Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bathroom Book of Mormon with a Hand Drawn Book of Mormon Reading Chart




When my boys were younger and preparing to go on their missions I wanted to try to encourage them to read the Book of Mormon on their own.  I got this idea from my father who used to read his scriptures when he went to the bathroom every day.  So I went out an got a cheap hardcover Book of Mormon and had it embossed with the words "Bathroom Copy" on the cover.  I'm not sure if they used it, but all three of them served missions.  Since then I have noticed that it ended up in my daughter's bathroom.  I have to admit that it has come in handy on several occasions.  Who knows, maybe a guest might find it interesting enough to learn more?


Here's where we keep it now:


When I was a teenager someone gave me this reading chart to chart my progress of the Book of Mormon.  I wore out the one they gave me, and redrew it many years ago.  I know that in the age of computers that someone could really make a fantastic version of this chart, but this one holds a soft spot in my heart.

Hand Drawn Book of Mormon Reading Chart:




Here is another reading chart that I have that is great for Summer reading.  It is reading the Book of Mormon in the time that it took Joseph Smith to translate it.  I'm not sure where it came from to link to the original source.  I searched for it but couldn't find it.  If you know the original source please share it with me and I would gladly link into it.



When I finished my reading I just highlighted the day that I read in a highlighter.  I often found that I read even more than the designated amount just for a personal challenge.





Here is another scripture related idea that I have used with my seminary students.  Just click on the picture below and it will take you to the link:
http://hollyshome-hollyshome-hollyshome.blogspot.com/2014/04/dont-be-popped-by-surprise-search.html

7 comments:

  1. I love this! Thanks for sharing. Would it be okay to print multiple copies for my Activity Days girls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you can use it. Sure, you can make as many copies as you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much as well. I have been searching for something more "Boyish" for my little mans turning 8 Challenge. Is is still ok to use this for him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome. I'm glad that you can use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this! I love your hand drawn chart. Hopefully it will encourage my kids and I to read the Book of Mormon before the end of this year. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this chart! Goals are more approachable and achievable when they can be laid out on a single page! Our family is going to TRY to use copies of this chart to track our progress on the (Re)"Read-the-Book-of-Mormon-by-the-end-of-the-year" Challenge. Thank you, again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed your Hand Drawn Book of Mormon Reading Chart, but I didn't see the pdf link to print it out.

    ReplyDelete