Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Plagues of Egypt - in a jar!


I had so much fun with this lesson!  I put each plague of Egypt in a jar.  Each jar had a scripture reference for the student to look up and share with the class.  When the students came in I had them pick a plaque out of a box.  I gave them a few minutes to read about their plaque and then they each came up to share with the class.  It was a great success!

Here is a copy of the labels that I made.  If you would like to use it just click on it to make it large. Then right click and save it into your pictures, or copy and paste it into your printing program.  







Jar 1 - The waters all turned to blood.
I used clearance Halloween blood, but you can also use corn syrup with red food coloring.  Add a little bit of Hershey's syrup to make it darker.

Jar 2 - Frogs upon the land.
I ordered a bunch of plastic frogs from Amazon.

Jar 3 - Lice throughout all the land
I bought some Halloween "chest hair" and put it into the jar.  Then I added salt to make it look like lice.  It was really gross!


Jar 4 - Flies only in Egypt
I found some plastic flies at the dollar store.

Jar 5 - Dead livestock only in Egypt
I bought some plastic livestock at Walmart, but I found better ones at Target.

Jar 6 - Boils breaking forth with Blains
I bought Halloween candy boogers and mixed in some Halloween candy body parts.

Jar 7 - Hail, thunder and fire, only in Egypt.
I found a bag of Christmas snow that looked like hail.  You can draw or paint fire on the sides of the jar.

Jar 8 - Locusts up over all the land of Egypt
I used glow in the dark plastic bugs that I found at the dollar store.

Jar 9 - Darkness over the land of Egypt
I took corn syrup and mixed it with black food coloring.

Jar 10 - Death to all Egyptian firstborn in the land
I found small plastic skeletons at the dollar store.


Since it was Halloween I put a treat together for them.  I had already bought all the stuff, but later thought it would have been fun to put together treats similar to the plaque items.  On mine I decided to add a scripture about the plaque in the shape of a bow tie.  I have that version for you to print out, or I made a second version in the shape of a skull.



Here is the bow tie version:

Here is another version:




It really was a lot of fun, especially since it was the week of Halloween.  Please feel free to tell what you did in your classroom.  I always love to hear new ideas.



To see all of my LDS Old Testament Seminary ideas click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment