Friday, October 19, 2018

LDS Seminary Scripture Dig & Draw



Today in seminary I gave each table of students a large sheet of packing paper with a scripture block written on it.  They had to "dig" into the scripture to see what it said.  Then every student in the group had to add something to their paper about the scripture block. 


I explained to them that when you put your foot on a shovel, it helps you to dig better.  I told them that every student who participated got a Fruit by the Foot candy.  I also explained that the harder you work the more fruit you get.

I have done this several ways.  I have found that when they work as groups, some groups do great, but some kids just do what they want.  

Groups of two:  I assign the students a scripture block.  I also put a couple of questions on the board that they are to look for or notice.  I often just put "Look for something that you find interesting.  One student reads two scriptures while the other draws or doodles.  Then they switch.  To get them started I said that everyone on the right reads the scriptures, and then the person on the left draws what they hear.  When they were done the person on the left reads the scriptures and the person on the right draws.  Doing this eliminated a lot of wasted time in decision making on the students parts. 

I have to say that this way worked really well.  Every single student was reading and working (even the ones that don't usually participate).  I am definitely doing this again! 

This time I gave the students each a Dig N' Dips for participating.  I know I don't need to, but I like to!
Here's and example of D&C 137


Large group: I give a large sheet of paper (packing paper) to each table.  Then I have them take turns reading and drawing.  They all share what they have learned.


After the students finished their pictures I had each group come up and explain what they learned and share a scripture.  As usual, some groups get into it more than other groups.  What I always find fascinating is that sometimes students who normally will not participate will participate better with an activity like this.  Today I had a girl who normally will not participate.  She took charge of her group and did most of the work, along with the presentation.  I was thrilled!

Here are some of the examples of our project:











Today was a fun day!  I loved watching some of the groups really get into it.  I had one group (of good kids) who did not seem to want to do it.  I had to coax them along.    Now it's on to tomorrow's lesson!

To see some of my other seminary ideas just click here





.


No comments:

Post a Comment