Wednesday, October 3, 2018

LDS Seminary Doctrinal Mastery Ideas


This page is where I will share some of my Doctrinal Mastery ideas that I have done with my students.  



Doctrinal Mastery Classroom Sign and Journal Printout

Every year I start the year by explaining what the Doctrinal Mastery is because I usually have Freshman.  I print out the sign below an put it up on the board so that I can refer to it often.  I like to refer to it when I am teaching so that they are familiar with it.  I also print out a smaller version in color so that they can color code their scriptures.  I don't require them to use this color code.  It is just a suggestion that I got off the the Seminary Teachers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Facebook Page.  

Here is their explanation of the colors that they chose:




Here's a black and white version:

Doctrinal Mastery Posters

I make a single page printout of each Doctrinal Mastery subject.  Then I assign a couple of students to each subject.   They are to use their journals to make a sign about their subject.  I give them about 10 minutes.  When they are done I have them teach their Doctrinal Mastery subject to the class.  This way the class has an overview of each subject.  Here is an example from a couple of years ago of what my class did.  I have changed my colors since then.  

If you would like a printout to use with your class just right click on the picture and save it into your pictures or copy and paste it into your printing program.



Here are the printouts:























Here's a finished example of what my class did:



Play ZAP with Doctrinal Mastery Questions

I have the students use their journals for the answers.  I divide the class into teams.  Each team needs to follow along in their Doctrinal Mastery portion of their journals.  They only have 3 minutes to answer the question, so they have to pay attention.    Here is the link to the game.

Here is a link to the questions:
Doctrinal Mastery Zap Questions

If that link doesn't work for you here is another copy of the questions:



Here is another set of questions.  Just click on the link

If that doesn't work you can print this out:




Here's the sign to go with the game:

Doctrinal Mastery Missionary Lesson
I divided the students up by passing out a slip of paper with their assigned Doctrinal Mastery topic.



I have 6 tables and each table was assigned a different topic.  Each table completed the sheet below.  After about 7 minutes I had each group come up and teach their lesson.  I had the class act like nonmembers and ask them questions about their lesson.



Doctrinal Mastery Bingo Board
Have the students fill in all the spots with the Doctrinal Mastery References. Read off the scripture and have them mark it on their BINGO board.  I have them use cereal to mark their boards so that we can play several games.

If your students are having trouble they can use their Doctrinal Mastery Cards or you can assign each student a Doctrinal Mastery scripture to be in charge of.

If you are looking for a BINGO board for each holiday click here.


Doctrinal Mastery BINGO Board
to use with General Conference


Mission Call Doctrinal Mastery
Last year while we were studying the Book of Mormon I called my students on a mission.  I printed out name tags and gave them a mission call and a Missionary handbook.  They used their Doctrinal Mastery section of their journals to prepare a lesson to teach as a missionary.  You could do this easily for any year of seminary. 









No comments:

Post a Comment